WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
Why Choose Western Illinois University?
Established in 1899, Western Illinois University (WIU) is located in Macomb, Illinois, a safe and friendly town in the Midwest United States. As you walk around campus you will notice Western is always full of excitement! WIU is committed to your academic success and ensures students have the tools needed to live and learn successfully. Western encourages diversity, cultural awareness, and engagement in activities that support the Western Illinois University’s core values: academic excellence, educational opportunity, personal growth, and social responsibility.
Our reputation for a quality education, signature programs, support services and affordability brings over 500 international students from more than 60 countries to the WIU campus each year.
The WIU campus offers:
- 65 baccalaureate degrees
- 37 master’s degrees
- 2 doctoral degrees
- Year-round housing
- Free bus service
- Safe and friendly community
- Weeklong orientation program
- CEA accredited ESL program
WIU understands traveling to a new country to live and study is a big step. Friendly, supportive staff help ease the transition to living and studying in America. A weeklong orientation covers topics such as banking, health issues, safety, cultural concerns, and academic support such as free tutoring. The support continues throughout the time students are at WIU. Students have many opportunities to learn about American culture and experience other cultures at events such as the International Bazaar, Cultural Café, International Friendship Club, Conversation Partners, International Neighbors, and field trips throughout the year to other cities and points of interest including Chicago, Springfield, and St. Louis. With year-round housing and free bus service it does not take long for students to become familiar with their new surroundings.
Intensive English Program – CEA Accredited!
Located on the campus of Western Illinois University, Western’s English as a Second Language (WESL) Institute offers an accredited ESL program that has been in existence for over 35 years! The WESL Institute is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation and is one of only seven accredited programs in the State of Illinois.
- Conditional admission may be offered for students without the necessary TOEFL score of 533 or 73; IELTS 6.0
- ESL requirement satisfied upon successful completion of the WESL program
- Personal attention and full range of support services for international students
- Three levels of study: Foundation (Beginning), Intermediate, and University Preparation (Advanced)
- Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Grammar, Integrated Skills, and Research Writing classes meet 20 hours weekly
- 16-week programs in fall (August-December) and spring (January-May)
- 10-week program in summer (May-July)
- Short-term programs by arrangement
- Field trips and activities provide opportunities for students to learn about American culture and practice speaking English.